Are you in a dinner rut? Day after day, month after month, you keep going back to the same tried and true recipes. You know the ones, they’re easy (so easy you know the recipe by heart), your family loves them, (or at the very least, likes them), and they’re just plain good. I can totally relate!
I think from time to time, we all find ourselves taking the easy way out – especially when life gets busy! But, there’s something really fun and energizing about trying new recipes!
This past year, I’ve been on a “new recipe kick” with my daughters. Not only has it been fun trying our hand at a few new recipes, it’s been a great bonding experience for us. And, the added perk is that my girls are becoming awesome (and fearless) cooks! Now all I have to do is teach my son how to boil water and I’ll be in good shape. (Yeah… it’s on my to-do list.)
Recently, we made a new recipe and, honestly, the whole family flipped! Grilled Balsamic & Avocado Chicken is super easy, off the charts delicious, healthy and it’s so pretty you’ll be amazed you’re not sitting at a fancy restaurant enjoying fine cuisine. The prep time is quick too, which means you can easily whip this up on a weeknight or, if you have guests coming into town, you’ll be sure to wow them with this recipe!
I hope you like it as much as we do. Enjoy!
Recipe compliments of The Recipe Critic
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese (thinly sliced)
- 2 avocados, diced
- 3 small tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- balsamic vinegar for drizzling (optional)
- In a medium sized bowl combine the balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic, olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken breasts to marinade and coat well. Marinade for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinading, add the avocado, tomatoes, basil and salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Grill chicken 6-7 minutes on each side or until cooked through and no longer pink. While the chicken is still on the grill, add a slice of mozzarella cheese to each chicken breast until it begins to melt. Remove chicken from the grill and transfer to a platter.
- To serve, top with avocado, tomato, basil mixture and drizzle with a balsamic vinegar.
- Serve immediately.
Just a few notes:
- This chicken recipe can easily be grilled on a George Foreman Grill if you're not in the mood to fire up the outside grill. We made it on the George Foreman and decided to use thinner chicken breasts since you can't monitor the heat as well on a George Foreman Grill. If you choose this method of cooking, make sure the chicken is completely cooked through.
- I haven't tried it, but there's no reason why you couldn't bake the chicken breasts in the oven too.
- I prefer the more expensive "real" mozzarella cheese rather than the packaged, but you can use either.