This post offers 35 fun and funny texts to send to your teen.
According to the Urban Dictionary, texting is something teens do that their parents hate, but they can’t stop doing.
It’s true. Every time I tried to have a face-to-face conversation with my kids, their nose was always plastered to their phones. No eye contact. No genuine communication. No real interaction.
It was frustrating, to say the least, which is why I decided that if I can’t beat ’em, I might as well join ’em.
Rather than feeling left out of my kids’ lives, I started texting them every day simply as a way to stay in touch and let them know I was thinking of them. At first, they were baffled, then they were annoyed (I wasn’t surprised), but now they actually like it. And, the best perk of all? It strengthened our relationship, big time!
I used to text my kids strictly as a means of communicating important information including things like “don’t forget you have practice tonight,” “You need to take the garbage out when you get home from school,” “What time do I have to pick you up from your friend’s house tonight?” or “Is there a reason you dumped all your t-shirts on your bedroom floor?”
Of course, I still use texting to get the lowdown on their schedule and pass along information I need them to know, but now I make sure I include plenty of fun, lighthearted, supportive “I just want you to know I’m thinking of you” texts so they know I’m never far away if they need me.
If you’re looking for a way to fortify your relationship with your teen, try bridging the gap with these 35 fun, heartfelt and supportive texts (many of which I’ve sent my kids before) to put a smile on their face.
1. Your dad and I want you to know that even though you growled at us this morning we think you’re amazing! (Apology accepted, by the way.)
2. I’m headed to the grocery store; do you want anything special for dinner? Chef mom at your service!
3. Remember, honey. Don’t take life too seriously… you’ll never get out alive.
4. Stop worrying so much. Smile! Have fun! Keep life in perspective! Don’t allow anyone to bring you down! Just be YOU!
5. I tripped over the pile of clothes on your bedroom floor, hit my head and I’m in the emergency room with a concussion. (JK… I cleaned your room and now I’m headed to the hospital for a tetanus shot.)
6. I think you went a little heavy on the Axe Body Spray this morning. The dog is under the couch and I have to wear a face mask. For future reference, keep it under 100 squirts.
7. I know you woke up in a crummy mood. Actually, so did I. Take a deep breath and don’t let it ruin your day, hon. Look at the bright side… you’ve got a mom (or dad) who’s pretty crazy about you!
8. You and me: mani/pedis, Saturday, you name the nail salon, lunch afterward. No arguing allowed. Just laughing. Put it on your calendar. Love, Mom
9. I know you’re all grown up and independent and all, but I want you to know I put a few pieces of candy in your lunch today because no matter how grown-up you are, you’ll always be my little sweetie.
10. I’m SO proud of you! Now go get ’em, babe!
11. Don’t forget, you can always use me as an excuse (that’s what I’m here for).
12. I LOVE YOU! (Never forget that… EVER!)
13. Good luck on your test! You got this! (Remember, your grades will NEVER define you!)
14. YOU are the reason my life is so full and wonderfully blessed. I love you with all my heart.
15. Just in case you were wondering MOM doesn’t stand for Made Of Money. (Ask Dad – he’s a pushover.)
16. That was a really great conversation we had this morning. (JK, just wishful thinking on my part.)
17. Of all the kids in the world, I’m SO lucky to have you!
18. Good morning beautiful! XOXO Love, your imaginary boyfriend.
19. I hope you know that no matter what, I’ll always be here for you.
20. I’m so proud of how hard you’ve been working. I know it’s going to pay off!
21. Just remember, you are BRAVER than you believe, STRONGER than you imagine, SMARTER than you think and LOVED far more than you’ll ever know. Love you, MOM XOXO
22. I bought you a surprise today. It’s bigger than an iPhone and smaller than a car… you’ll never guess what it is.
23. I know you have a hard day ahead of you today. What can I do to make your day easier?
24. I LOVE being your mom (dad).
25. Sorry I didn’t text you back right away. Sucks, doesn’t it? Watcha need, babe?
26. I know I don’t fully understand what you’re going through right now, but I want you to know that I’m always willing to listen and I’ll always be here for you.
27. I’m just curious. What would it take for you to clean your room? How ’bout a bribe???
28. I know it’s been a crummy week. Let’s do something crazy this weekend!!
29. I went into your bedroom and took out 5 cups, 4 plates, 2 spoons, and a bowl. It was kinda like taking a trip to Ikea only I didn’t have to drive there and I saved a ton of money.
30. Definition of HAMPER: A place to put dirty laundry (just in case you forgot).
31. Whatever you choose to do, I’ll always be your biggest cheerleader!
32. Just remember, I have spies everywhere, so if you do anything stupid tonight, I WILL find out. I love you! Come home safe, PLEASE!
33. You are capable of anything you set your mind to! Don’t doubt yourself!
34. I know things are hard right now, but nothing worthwhile ever comes easy. It’s the “hard” that makes it so great. Keep going… you’ve got this!
35. We all need a break from life. Let’s take a trip this weekend. Any ideas?