Happy Friday, Y’all! Who’s Ready for Some Sangria!
OK… I know I promised to share “teen-tested” recipes, but hey, it’s Friday and I figure, we’ve all been “tested” by our teens at one time or another, so… technically this is a teen-tested recipe. Hehe! (Plus, truth be told, my girls have both tried this recipe and absolutely love it… but let’s keep that between us!)
Anyone who knows me well knows that I’m moderately obsessed with Sangria. I absolutely love trying new recipes! And, what makes Sangria especially fun is that you can toss in different ingredients depending on the season. Plus, they’re simple to make, they look pretty and you really can’t mess up! (My kind of recipe!)
This Sangria is the perfect blend of fall flavors – apples, pears, oranges, cranberries and a hint of cinnamon – Yum! When choosing a wine for this recipe, go with what you love… you can choose a Pinot Grigio, a Sauvignon Blanc or anything else that appeals to you. And, feel free to have fun and tweak the amount of each ingredient according to your taste. Add more apple cider to make it sweeter or more club soda / sparkling white wine if you want to tone down the sweetness. Just make sure you add the club soda / sparkling wine right before serving to give it a nice fizzy taste.
Oh, and because Sangria is just so darn pretty, you’ll want to serve it up in a pretty clear pitcher. For a great selection, check out Crate and Barrel – they have some that are priced under $15.
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Recipe and Image: Eat Yourself Skinny (Thank you!)
- 2 honeycrisp apples, chopped
- 1 bartlett pear, chopped
- 1 orange, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cranberries
- 2 cinnamon sticks (or 1 cinnamon stick is fine if you don't love cinnamon)
- 1 (750 ml) bottle favorite white wine
- 2½ cups fresh apple cider
- ½ cup vodka
- 1 cup club soda or sparkling white wine (add right before serving!)
- Pomegranate seeds as a garnish (optional)
- Place chopped apples, pears, orange slices, cranberries and cinnamon sticks in a large pitcher. Pour in wine, apple cider, and vodka and mix well.
- Allow flavors to marinate in the fridge a few hours (or even overnight) before serving then add club soda / sparkling wine. The longer it sits the better! Cheers!
If you like, top each glass with a few pomegranate seeds! (FYI, the pomegranate seeds can get caught in the spigot of a drink dispenser, so it's best to add them to each individual glass.)